5 Natural Ways To Clean The Dirtiest Microwaves
Commercial cleaners can clean anything in your microwave but the last thing you want is to get any added chemicals or fumes to ruin your leftovers. Here are 5 natural and effective ways of cleaning your microwave with easy-to-find household products.
Vinegar and Water – For the oily mess
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl halfway with water and add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Microwave on high for five minutes. Steam will loosen any caked-on strains or dried gunk.
- Remove the glass container and wipe down the inside with a paper towel.
Wet Paper Towels – For a quick clean.
- Grab a handful of paper towels and soak them in water
- Place inside the microwave and run on high power for 4-5 minutes. Steam from the towels will loosen and soften anything that’s dried and caked onto your microwave.
- When the times up, let the towels sit for another minute or two to cool
- Once the towels are cooled down, use them to finish off and wipe down all the loose grime.
Baking Soda and Water – For the dried, caked-on stains
- Make a cleaning paste by combining two parts baking soda to one part water.
- Mix thoroughly
- Apply the solution on any cooked-on stains inside the microwave or on the rotating plate.
- After 5 minutes, use a wet sponge or a paper towel to remove the leftover residue.
Baking Soda, Vinegar, and Water – For a deep clean
- Fill a bowl with four cups of warm water and add four tablespoons of baking soda
- Mix until the baking soda completely dissolves.
- Use a cloth or paper towel to generously wipe everything inside the microwave oven
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with equal parts vinegar and water place inside the microwave
- Run on high for 3 minutes (or until boiling) and keep the door closed for another 10 once it finishes to allow the steam to cut through the grease
- Use the vinegar and water solution inside the bowl to wipe down everything inside the microwave. Repeat until all the baking soda residue has been removed.
Lemon Juice – For a fresh lemon scent
- Cut a lemon in half and place the cut-side down on a microwaveable plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water
- Microwave for 1 minute, or until the lemon is hot and the inside of the oven is steamy.
- Wipe down with paper towels.
- As a bonus, the lemon makes an excellent natural, organic cleaner for your garbage disposal. All you have to do is separate the halves into smaller slices and run them through the machine with plenty of water.